Lunch & Learn - Being a great employer of migrants and former refugees, with English Language Partners
Being a great employer of migrants and former refugees – challenges, opportunities and tools to make life easier for everyone. This Lunch & Learn session is brought to you by English Language Partners.
English Language Partners has been operating in the Waikato for more than 30 years. We teach English for work and everyday life in New Zealand and help new Kiwis learn the English they need to participate and live independent lives. Our vision is that former refugees and migrants participate successfully in all aspects of life in Aotearoa New Zealand. This of course includes taking up meaningful work. This workshop will help employers and people leaders to understand the challenges that English speakers of other languages face in the workplace – and give them tools they can use right away.
The session will be presented by Centre Manager Susan Trodden, and teacher Jo de Lisle, and cover
1. Common reasons why employers get frustrated with staff who speak English as a second language
2. Things you can do TODAY to make things better for yourself, your team leaders and your staff regardless of what their first language is
3. Ways to engage migrant staff and promote inclusion in the workplace
4. Insights into understanding how other cultures give and receive feedback and how this can impact on things like giving directions to staff, or undertaking a performance review
5. What being ‘culturally responsive’ means and how you can create a safe and welcoming workplace for people of other cultures
6. Support that is available for employers and employees